A Family Business Begins with an Inn
In 1906, right before the birth of their first son, Max, Hyman and Yetta moved from their Tasker Street apartment to Hamilton Farm, which they rented from Yetta’s parents, at Castor Avenue and Devereaux Street (Oxford Circle). Their second son, Sam, was born in 1909, and their daughter, Sarah, in 1916. Census records show Hyman still resided at the Tasker Street apartment in 1910. Given transportation conditions at the time, Hyman likely lived like a modern-day supercommuter, residing at his apartment in the city during the working week, and then joining his family at the farm on weekends.
Hyman, in the early 1900s, was what a Korman client would be today. While her husband worked in the factory, Yetta worked on the farm and took boarders to supplement the family income. In fact, Yetta probably learned the practice of taking boarders from her parents, who owned an inn at that time, which was a destination for summer farm holidays, called the Sandy Run Inn, later known as Clifton House. Fifty years later, providing temporary housing became the core Korman family business.