The 2nd Generation Joins the Family Business
Max joined his father’s business in 1924. From 1924-1925, in the vicinity of Martin’s Mill Road and Oakley Street, the father-and-son team built their first community development that included homes, apartment and stores.
When the younger son, Sam, joined the business in 1928, there was even more development with larger twin-style homes and singlefamily homes for a new middle class of shopkeepers, factory workers, teachers, city workers and professionals, who were buying their homes in an expanding Philadelphia.
In 1933, Hyman incorporated his business with his sons into Hyman Korman Inc. Between 1929 and 1934, the company built more than 500 homes. At that time, this was a very sizeable percentage of the total homes built in all of Philadelphia.